Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Utter Geek

Am I hopelessly geeky? I have this new library job and I've been doing it for a month now and I love it so much I could marry it. Okay, just kidding. But today when my shift was over someone said to me "You're all done, go have a fun evening now," and I thought, well, wait, I want to stay here. Perhaps this feeling will wear off a little in a couple months, like when the honeymoon phase is over (there's that marraige metaphor again) but I don't know. I've wanted to work in a library forever, and now that I'm here I find out I'm in one of the top 10 public libraries in the country and I'm ever so proud. I feel kind of embarrassed about how much I like this job, like I shouldn't admit it publicly (oops, too late). I mean, I have a Masters Degree in writing and I'm all smart and stuff. How come I get so much enjoyment out of shelving books? I guess it's just being around the books, having access to them and seeing what's new and interesting in writing every day. Books are like chocolate to me, they're just so scrumptious. Really, I'm not psychologically disturbed. I know there are others like me out there, they just aren't admitting out loud how much they adore books and reading. We need a support group meeting..."Hi, my name is Merc...and I'm a readaholic. I have 26 books checked out right now. But I'm bringing two back tomorrow. Really."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie:

Do you have a top 5 books of all time that you enjoy?

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I love this! Do you want to write a 500-600-word essay on the topic for MOQ? You know, an essay about why I love working at the library. OK, so it's not a Minneapolis library, but I think we can deal with that. You could definitely start with what you have here, weave in something from your previous post about summer reading and how much you loved books as a kid, and round it out however it seemed to go best. Let me know if you're interested.
Sharon