Thursday, May 15, 2008

needle book: inside the front and back covers



I tried a couple different things inside the front and back covers that I may or may not do again. I just love that lace inside the front cover so wanted to use some. Same with my fabric choice. Then on the back page I sewed some sheer ribbon and made sort of a slot for a small bobbin of embroidery thread. I didn't quite like how that came out. I only used one sheet of felt, which some people try to pass off as 4 pages, and that's just stupid because you'll be poking yourself on both sides. So I might put another sheet of felt in next time for a few more pages, since I have so many needles.
I also whip-stiched some novelty yarn around the edge of the book, which may be overkill because I did two different yarns, but I like it. I want it to be fun and inspiring-looking, not boring and tedious. So I'm making more of these and will put some of them on my Etsy store and see how they sell. The other thing I was thinking was putting a few needles in them to start off the recipient. It just seems cruel to send an empty needle book. It's so overwhelming to go to JoAnn's and look at the needles, whereas if you're a general crafter, you can just look at a few and go, "That looks like it will work." That's what I've ended up doing. Any thoughts, fellow crafters who sew stuff?

2 comments:

Chris said...

I sew nothing, but when I did, I was constantly losing needles, and I think an included needle or two would be a touching and memorable detail for the recipient.

Now I'm going to go look at your store, and if I buy anything, you are in big, BIG trouble.

Chris said...

Well, where the hell is it?

Oh, it's okay. When I start sewing stuff, I'll stalk you for your needle book.