Sunday, May 21, 2006

I just watched this amazing movie, Donnie Darko. I don't know how I missed this when it came out, it's brilliant. The previews make it like a teen slasher/horror flick, but it's really not. It's sort of science fiction/psychological horror, but it's sweet and sad and so very smart. And I'm totally in love with this song now, Mad World, a cover of an old Tears for Fears song that is much better than the original song. It seems to fit this movie so perfectly, hard to believe it wasn't written for the film.

I love the intense feeling in the movie of funny/sad at the same time. I also recently listened to a podcast of The Treatment in which Elvis Mitchell was talking to Richard E. Grant about his new uatobiographical movie, Wah-Wah, and Grant also spoke about that funny/sad combo that so much of life seems to be about. If you aren't laughing at it, you're missing half of it. Likewise, if you aren't crying, you're also missing what it's about. It being life. Kind of like that teenage pregnancy thing next door...I'll probably knit her a baby hat after I get over being sad. Or maybe it's in between being sad and laughing (or was that spitting nails?).

No comments: