Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Trash or Treasure

So I'm sitting here at my desk and I have a view out the window of the street below and part of an alley across the way. A guy goes by on his bicycle, carrying a backpack and a couple empty hefty bags. He circles back and goes down the alley. He stops at someone's trash cans and recycle bins and starts looking through the stuff. At first I'm mad, thinking he's stealing the recycling. I think about going outside and yelling at him "Hey, what do you think you're doing?" in my best authoritative block leader voice. Then I see he's actually looking through the trash. Hmmm. Well, that's different. I decide not to go yell at him, which is good because I don't like yelling at people. He isn't making a mess, he's just looking at the big stuff that's piled up next to the trash can. He takes a couple things (a toaster? a mop?) and puts them in his hefty bag. And moves on. He's a gleaner.

No comments: