Friday, September 09, 2005

Emotionally Rococo

I saw this phrase--"emotionally rococo"-- in a theatre review this morning, describing an actor. I think it's a bit overwritten, and yet effective. Reminds me of Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard, which I just watched for the first time a couple days ago. Yikes, she's so spidery! The way she wraps her hands around William Holden is so predatory, ew. Get off! I want to shout. So now I'm wondering if I know any emotionally rococo people... Well, I don't know him personally (thank God), but I think Geraldo Rivera might qualify, after what I read in the paper about him covering Catrina victims. Ew. I haven't watched much TV coverage of the event, and I think that's probably a good thing. I get most of my news from NPR, where calmer heads usually prevail. I heard an interesting question/comment yesterday, about whether it's appropriate to be calling victims of this disaster "refugees." If something like this happened in Malibu, California, would we be calling the victims "refugees"? It's a good question, I think, because it asks us to look at how we're characterizing these people. What's a less judgemental, less distancing term? Displaced people? I don't know.

No comments: