Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Siren Song

It's that time again, the first Wednesday of the month when the air raid sirens go off, and I'm sitting at my desk all peaceful-like when suddenly there's this horrible wailing... They're tornado warning sirens but they're so creepy-sounding, they always make me think of bomb shelters and the Blitz and nuclear war. I know, how pleasant.

National Night Out was last night and although I had a headache most of the day, I managed to get out and celebrate in the evening for the party on our block. Which is good, since I'm a block leader. I put out library info, including library card applications, but nobody filled out any. Oh well, probably the library geeks like me already have cards, and the other folk who don't read...well, I don't understand people who "don't read." "Oh, I don't read much," I've heard people say, and it makes my head spin. Does not compute. How can you not read much? To me reading is a necessary part of every day. It's like someone saying "Oh, I don't eat much." What, you mean today?

We took Cocoa camping last weekend for the first time and she did great. It was so nice to bring her with us instead of leaving her home at the doggie hotel. We hope to bring her up to the Boundary Waters soon, maybe in the next couple of years. It was a little hard seeing so many families camping with their kids, and us not having one...yet. But it was a bit easier having our whole family there, that is, our doggie, our fur-kid. We went to St. Croix State Park, which is a really nice park, and also rather huge. It's right on a river so we went swimming both days, with Cocoa, which felt so great. Growing up I always had a swimming pool and I really miss that here, not having a pool. I know, there's lakes. Can you say slime? I thought you could. Bleah. The Boundary Waters lakes were amazing to swim in, but the city lakes are icky. Call me a whiner.

No comments: