Friday, March 27, 2009

Another Seahorse Painting/Mixed Media


I don't have a good title for it yet. Just Seahorse Buttons. I used my hand-carved seahorse stamp again and taped off sections of the canvas and painted boxes and striped. Then stamped the seahorsies and embossed them. They aren't all cookie cutter perfect and I like that. Makes 'em all different, so it's ok if the first one turned out messy. Then I dug into my stash of really old "white" buttons that reminded me of seashells and hot-glued those babies onto the canvas. Then I doodled with a blue micron pen and made sort of seaweedy tendrils. I like it.

Oh, did I mention this was a $1 store canvas with an ugly vinyl-y finish on it? I just slathered on the gesso and sand mediums and created a nicer texture. And covered up bad art. I think that's called upcycling.

1 comment:

Sharon Parker said...

"Up-cycling" -- I like that! Cute picture, too, Carrie. Nice touch with the seashell-y buttons, more clever than using actual shells, I think.